Monday, June 29, 2015

Chapter 1 - So you want to become a writer

I will begin with a story, since after all, this book is about a writer who wrote a book, or several books for that matter, and decided to go Indie publishing.
Not everyone wants to be a writer.  Or maybe a handful does.  But only a selected few goes on to take time, write down ideas, and pursue writing stories.
The question is, do you really want to become a writer?  Do you know what it takes to become a writer?
A year ago, in July of 2013, I decided to resign from my job and take to writing full-time.  My boss told me to just file a leave of absence for 3 months.  My colleagues told me the same.  My friends told me to follow my heart.  And my parents, well, they told me something that was a cross between what my colleagues and friends told me, follow your heart, we’ll support you, but think about it doubly-hard.
These are all sound advice and I would be lying if I say that I didn’t do what they told me.  I was sleepless for several nights, ecstatic and afraid at the same time.  For the first time after working for fifteen years, I would be jobless, no source of income whatsoever, and with monthly amortizations that I had to pay. Looking back now, I would like to yell at my younger self and tell her, What the hell were you thinking?
But my younger self would simply respond with, No, I need to do this.  I will do this.  I will make it through all this.  I don’t care what you say. Hah! I will laugh my ass out when I get to sell my book (which I haven’t sold to any publisher yet) and strut in front of all of them who told me writing or living as a writer is tough!
If only I will be given a chance now, I would smack the younger me in the head, douse her in water, or probably make her drink sleeping pills, in the hope that when she wakes up, she’ll see the light.
What I’m saying here is, look deeply.  Know your passion.  Don’t let an impulse or a fad take you.  If you’re writing because you think it’s the job that will uplift your soul, go on.  If you think writing will make you rich, think again!  It could.  Yeah, maybe, it could.  Let’s just pray it’s not posthumous. 
But kidding aside, before reading the next chapters, I want you to dwell on this question.  Do you really want to be a writer?
Zzzzzz…
I know. You’re going to tell me, “Shut up!  Quit asking me about my passion and move on to the more relevant parts of the blog.  You promised Indie Publishing--Hacked.  Show it now.  Or I swear, this will be the last entry you ever write.”
Okay.  So I shut up now.
I know the reason you’re reading this is because you want to learn more about Indie Publishing.  And several years ago, I did, too.  That’s why I’m summarizing everything I learned and writing them down in this manuscript.  Because I tried befriending famous authors to get tips from them and failed.  I mean, they probably thought I’m just a scumbag.  And they’re probably right.  But that’s beside the point.
Every writer needs a companion.  And going Indie Publishing, you need one, too.  So here, stay with me.  Move on to the next post (which will be out tomorrow).
Remember though, writing takes a lot of work.  It does not come overnight.  It does not promise every time that you will get fame, or money, or both.  Sometimes, if you’re a smoker who enjoys drinking coffee along with a stick, writing could even give you hyper-acidity.
Before you flip to the next page, think once more.
Do you want to become a writer?
If you’re going to throw the question back at me, I would say, Yes.  I have always wanted to become a writer.  If we’re along the same lines, let’s do this together.
Before proceeding though, take the time to write down some notes here.  Reflect on this chapter.  It’s quite easy to say you want to write.  But it takes patience.  Discipline.  Grit!  And really great ideas.


Now, go get a glass of water or coffee, sign up to my feeds list, and tomorrow, I will let you know the next steps.
P.S.  This was supposed to be a book, sort of like a text book/ journal type, which is why there are lines where you're supposed to write your thoughts.  Since this is online though, you can either post comments, or write in a journal, or already start your blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment