Saturday, June 20, 2015

We Were Liars--this book is astonishing, I won't Lie about it

As an Indie Author, I always look for new stuff and authors to inspire me.  And well, when I was going through Goodreads top 2014 books, I came across the winner, We Were Liars.
I went to National Book Store and looked for a copy there, and voila-- I was wowed with the book blurb.  It was brilliantly written and it piqued my interest.
So here's what happened next.
I grabbed a copy and started reading the book. 
                 book beauty and the beast reading gaston
The book started off with the unraveling of the plot, and location, and the characters.  It was about an elite family, with their snotty noses, and with them looking down on people that they perceive as not their equals.  To my mind, the book was like a modern rewriting of the famed Wuthering Heights, and this was confirmed by the book as later on, I got to that part where Gat, one of the main characters, felt that his love for Cadence and his character can be equated to that in the classic Wuthering Heights.
I kept on wondering what the lie was.  And how the title came to be.  Halfway through the book, I thought of stopping to read it, but then again, there were some clues thrown here and there that made me continue reading, aside from the fact that I was wondering what Cadence's sickness really was.
After a few days of late night reading, I finally came to the last part of the book, and I was astounded.  I was lying in bed, gripping the pages of the book, and with abated breath continued flipping through the pages til I got to the last page.  When I finished the book, what I had in mind was--brilliant!
I don't want to ruin it for those who have not read it yet so I'm not going to leave a spoler here, but here's an assurance that this book is great.  As a writer myself, I always ask myself what story I am so envious of that makes me wish I was the one who wrote it. Well, here's the answer--We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.
For me, a definite must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment